Planning Task 6: Font Choices
The font choice of the masthead for my magazine is an important decision to make as it sets the tone and visual aesthetic of the magazine. Different choices in font can guide the reader to different sections of the magazine through bold, italics, and capitalised fonts.
The font of a masthead coincides with and establishes the brand identity, as the masthead makes up a large part of the magazine's print copy and website as it takes up a large space on the front cover. Elegant serif fonts can symbolise a more sophisticated magazine while a sans serif font may convey a less serious magazine.
From top to bottom, the first two fonts I tried were sans-serif fonts that were capitalised and bold. I felt that this would help with making the magazine more visible on shop shelves as these fonts stick out more to readers and are more eyecatching. However, because these fonts are sans serif, I felt that these fonts were too casual for the brand identity of Stile Serio, as it is a serious fashion magazine and I think a serif font would be more fitting.
The second two fonts I tried were serif fonts as I think that this would better represent the more serious tone of the magazine. Although the fonts are not as bold, I believe this is better to conform to the brand identity that I want to convey. This is because thinner serif fonts are better for establishing a more serious and luxury aesthetic that I want to show in my magazine.
The final font that I tried, and the font that I will choose for my masthead was also a sans serif font that carries the same qualities of the previous two serif fonts. Therefore, it conveys the serious and fashionable brand identity of Stile Serio, and has been capitalised in order to make the masthead more visible on shop shelves. I prefer this font because it has a unique style in that the letters L and E in Stile and R and I in Serio are joined in a way that makes the masthead stand out more in comparison to the other fonts, and therefore will give that magazine a unique masthead when seen with others on a shop shelf.
No comments:
Post a Comment